Abacus Valuations Co. Ltd Logo
Home EPC Certificates Property Auctions UK Property Finder UK Properties For Sale RICS Homebuyers Reports Valuations Videography

Your Journey to Selling Your Home Starts Here 😀 Call 📞 07706 413 904 or email: 💻 Jon.gibbons@abacus-valuations.co.uk Anytime between 10:00 - 22:00 | 7 days a week 😀

Which is the best Housing Report for me?

What is a House Survey?

Home Buyers Report Housing Diagram

A house survey is an Expert Inspection of a Residential Property and it must be completed by a qualified surveyor and they must be an accredited member of RICS - the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors. Rics surveyors offer three 'levels' of survey: a Condition Report (level one), Homebuyer Report (level two) and Building Survey (level three).

It's not a legal requirement to have a survey on a property you are buying, but if the property is of a certain age it is common sense.

Homebuyer surveys are a good way to avoid unexpected repair costs further down the line. Getting a survey for a house or flat will give you an idea of just how much you might need to invest in a property after you buy it.

There are different types of reports for different house types, build styles and ages. For a new house you would just go for a simple report like the RICS Condition Report but if you are looking to buy a period property then you would need a RICS Building Structure Survey.

Not anyone can preform these Surveys, the surveyor has to be a member of a recognised governing body such as the Residential Property Surveyors Association (RPSA) or Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors. The surveyors are levelled from Licenced to Chartered and you must seek advice upon the surveyor and type of survey you required.

I am a RICS level 2 qualified surveyor which allows me to preform 2 out of the 3 levels and mortgage valuations, let me briefly go through the different levels and reports and if you need a Structured Engineer to preform a RICS Building Structure Survey, I can recommend one.

Buyer Beware

Book a Free Consultation

Are you thinking about Moving? Need some Advice on Improving your Home? We can give you a brief Home Survey and Advice on how to Improve your Property to maximise your equity.

Have you Sold your House and you're looking at number of purchase options, you may ask our opinion or you would like a Survey on a new purchase

Are you looking to invest, investment property is increasingly propular and there are many different options, we can provide our professional opinion on Real Estate Investments.

E-Mail Address:
Post Code:
Send E Mail:

RICS Condition Report

Condition Report

The RICS Condition Report describes the condition of the property, it only identifies any risks and potential legal issues and highlights any urgent defects which effects the value of the property. It’s most suitable for new-build and conventional homes in good condition. This is a very basic report.

RICS HomeBuyer Report

A HomeBuyer Report

A HomeBuyer Report is a survey suitable for conventional properties in reasonable condition and is the most common and recomended report.

This will help you find out if there are any structural problems, such as subsidence or damp, as well as any other unwelcome hidden issues inside and outside.

The HomeBuyer Report doesn’t look beyond the floorboards or behind the walls. The surveyor can not lift carpets or move cabinets, fixed or non fixed, he can only report on the visual aspect of the property.

Some home-buyers’ reports include a property valuation, so you might be able to revise your offer if the survey reveals a lower price than the mortgage lender’s valuation.

If there’s no valuation included, you could use the report’s suggestions for repairs to renegotiate the price.

For example, if it’s going to cost you £5,000 to carry out work on the property’s damp walls, it’s reasonable to offer £5,000 less than the asking price.

The report will show every aspect, visually and documented, it will go through the safety of all services and their service history. The surveyor has to be qualified at Level 2 to complete this report, if the property has visual structural defects above hairline plaster cracks then the surveyor should not continue with the report and refer you to qualified structual engineer to preform a RICS Building Survey. I can give you examples of this level of report.

Building or Full Structural Survey

A Full Structural Survey Report

This is the most comprehensive survey and is suitable for all residential properties. It’s particularly good for older homes or homes that might need repairs. This type of survey typically costs upwards of £600 and provides detailed advice on repairs.

It’s very extensive and in some circumstances worth the extra money but it does not usually include a valuation. Although this survey can’t look under floorboards or behind walls it should include the surveyor’s opinion on the potential for hidden defects in this area.

The surveyor should also provide information on potential repair options. Again, you could try to save money by comparing the details of the repairs required against the lender’s valuation.

How Much will a House Survey Cost?

The price of House Survey depends upon two factors, the age / condition of the property and the size of the property which is represented by the property value.

Level of Report
Type of Property
Cost Range

Condition Report Level One
Standard properties and relatively new homes in good condition.
£400 - £950

Homebuyers Report Level Two
Standard Properties in Reasonable Condition
£450 - £1,000

Building Survey Level Three
Large and Older Properties over 50 years of Age
£600 - £1,500

Building Survey Level Three
Large and Older Properties over 50 years of Age
£600 - £1,500

home buyers report costs

I am qualified at Levels One and Two and I can give you an instant quote for the Doncaster Area and for level three surveys I have a few local Structual Engineers I can recommend.

For a Detailed Quote or Booking a House Survey | Call me or Email Me


Estate Agency News and Articles

EPC Chart

What are Energy Performance Certificates

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) provide residential and commercial property buyers and tenants with an indication of the energy efficiency of a property. The certificate contains information about the property’s typical energy costs and will...

Card image cap

How to Successfully Sell a Property

Selling your home needs a bit more preparation than sticking on a pot of coffee to perculate, it requires careful planning if you want to sell quickly at a fair price...

Card image cap

The Doncaster Property Market May 2021

The Doncaster Property Market and the UK Property Market was predicted to be in a Recession after Lockdown. The fact is, it has been so very bouyant recently...

Card image cap

The Problem of Overvaluing a Property

Estate Agents want your business, it is a very competitive market with great rewards at stake. Estate Agents are under presure to keep up their numbers and hit their bonus targets that they will almost do anything to get your business...

Card image cap

What is an Estate Agents Role

This maybe a strange question? But I think you may ask 20 people and get 20 different answers, I asked google and I got even more answers. The most basic answer is someone who "Sells, Rents or Manages Property". This statement represents the majority of companies, they do the bare minimum or...

Card image cap

Which is the best Housing Report

A house survey is an Expert Inspection of a Residential Property and it must be completed by a qualified surveyor and they must be an accredited member of RICS - the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors...

Card image cap

Waiting for a Council House?

Around 50 residents and families were in competition for just one council house in Doncaster as the waiting list for an affordable property in the borough now exceeds 8,000

The statistics came in a report which outlines just under £500,000 of government money in order to identify brownfield sites for thousands of future council houses.

Card image cap

How to Successfully Sell a Property

Learn - all aspects of lawn maintenance, how to build and maintain a pond, care and grow vegetables and fruit, fit for your table.

Jon Gibbons | 07706 413 904 | jon.gibbons@exp.uk.com | https://jongibbons.exp.uk.com/

Abacus Valuations Ltd is a registered company at Orchard House, East Lound, Haxey, Doncaster. South Yorkshire DN9 2LR. Registered company Number is 13387578.

Google Reviews
Zoopla Logo
The Property Ombudsman Logo
Rightmove Logo
Trading Standards Logo
Trading Standards Logo

Copyright © abacus-valuations.co.uk - 2000 - 2022

Contact Us / Privacy Policy / Sitemap